This course, a brief overview of the modern human rights movement, is presented by Bergen Human Rights Seminars and taught by Joseph Chuman, PhD in religious philosophy and leader of the Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County, and Dennis B. Klein, PhD, director of the Master of Arts in Holocaust and Genocide degree program at Kean University. The 2014 course includes new, updated content.
The classes cover:
1. Introduction: The Awakening to Humanity (16th-19th Centuries)
2. The Modern Human Rights Movement and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
3. The Holocaust and the United Nations Genocide Convention
4. Current Philosophical Debates
5. Conclusion: Humanitarian Intervention and Its Limits
Classes, which meet at the Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County, 687 Larch Ave., Teaneck, NJ, are on Tuesdays from 4:30 to 6 p.m., May 6 through June 3. This course, which grants Continuing Education credits authorized by Kean University, is open to all but has been developed and scheduled to serve school teachers.
A $20 registration fee covers administrative costs. To register or to receive the course brochure, please call the Ethical Culture Society of Bergen at 201-836-5187.