Jen Chapin Trio, Live in Concert
Saturday Nov 9, 2013, 2013 at 8 pm
Tickets $22.50 plus fees in advance / $27.00 at the door
A Portion of This Show’s Proceeds To Benefit WHY HUNGER?
In addition we will be collecting for the local food pantry – bring some dry or canned goods & coffee is on us!
ETHICAL BREW is a live music venue located in Teaneck, NJ, dedicated to serving up a quality blend of folk & indie performers in an intimate and welcoming environment.
A portion of each show’s proceeds is allocated to Why Hunger?
The Ethical Culture Society of Bergen County
687 Larch Avenue
Teaneck, NJ 07666
For more info call, 201-836-5187
Jen Chapin’s music is urban folk soul — story songs that search for community and shared meaning, powered by the funk and improvisation of the city.
Critics have hailed her work as
- “brilliant.. soulfully poetic” (NPR)
- “thoughtful.. worth-savoring” (People)
- “addictive” (Boston Globe)
- “smart, observant, lyrically deft, politically aware and emotionally intuitive” (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel).
JazzTimes has called her “a first-rate storyteller” while Relix regards her as “one of the freshest voices singing today.”
Jen has been featured on “Late Nite with Conan O’Brien”, NPR’s Mountain Stage and WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour, Sirius Satellite’s The Loft with Mike Marrone and Mary Sue Twohy’s The Village, been honored by the USA Songwriting Competition, has performed on stage with Bruce Springsteen, and has opened up for Bruce Hornsby, Smokey Robinson, and the Neville Brothers.
Jen’s cover of Van Morrison’s “Into the Mystic” was prominently featured in a recent episode of the new SyFy series “Defiance”.
Jen’s music reflects a diversity of experience.. She is an activist, with a life-long involvement in WhyHunger (founded in 1975 by Jen’s late father Harry Chapin), an organization that champions innovative, community-based solutions to hunger and poverty; and is also active in the local and sustainable food movement.
Raves for Jen Chapin’s new album ‘Reckoning’
- As the daughter of late folk legend Harry Chapin, it’s not surprising that Jen Chapin has taken so naturally to intricate storytelling through song.”
— ASCAP Playback
- Jen Chapin has a sandied tone to her voice, and her delivery has a quirky cleverness to it. Sleek and snappy material…intriguing.”
— George W. Harris, Jazz Weekly
- “a surefire gem: the kind of carefully-crafted and sophisticated pop that used to be associated with Paul Simon. Yeah, it’s that good.”
- “Jen Chapin faces her ‘Reckoning’ [with] her lush new recording which blends elements of jazz, folk and rock…”
— Los Angeles Times
- “…potent, jazzy, layered…”
— Glenn Gamboa, Newsday
- “Reckoning presents the singer at her most mature and most incisive artistically.. a winner.”
— Mark S. Tucker, Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange
- “Like a good novelist, it isn’t in the climactic scenes that Jen Chapin’s talents shine but in turning the mundanity of everyday life into delicate lyrical poems.”
— Chris Griffy, Examiner
Please enjoy the new video for “Go Away” at American Songwriter magazine.
For more information about Jen Chapin visit jenchapin.com.
Special guest opener Ron Renninger
Singer, songwriter, guitarist extraordinaire, Teaneck resident, Ron Renninger has shared the stage with such industry notables as Richie Havens, Lucinda Williams, Jesse Colin Young, John Hammond Jr, Lucy Kaplansky and Christine Lavin. Additionally, Ron has recorded and released five critically acclaimed CDs featuring superb picking, distinctive vocals and well-crafted, powerful songs. Audiences find much to relate to in his heartfelt songwriting that draws on wealth of experience from a fascinating and well-traveled life. Come be entertained and delighted by this local jewel!
For more info and video clips visit ronrenninger.com.